Re: myqsl dummy needs help

On Monday 16 February 2009, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
>> 3306  Source distribution
>>
>> So obviously /tmp doesn't have the right perms.  Or at least I assume
>> (there is that word again) that an error 13 is permissions related.
>> Selinux is in targeted mode, enabled, and it isn't fussing.
>>
>> /tmp itself is drwxr-xr-x  amanda disk   system_u:object_r:tmp_t:s0
>> tmp but nearly everything in it is root:root except the amanda and
>> amanda-debug directories.  So I just changed tmp to drwxrwxrwx  But that
>> also didn't change anything. Or did it, now the log shows this when I
>> restart mysqld:
>>
>> 090216 13:51:44  mysqld started
>> InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
>> InnoDB: a new database to be created!
>> 090216 13:51:44  InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 10 MB
>> InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
>> 090216 13:51:45  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be
>> created InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
>> InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
>> 090216 13:51:45  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be
>> created InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
>> InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
>> InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
>> InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
>> InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
>> InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
>> 090216 13:51:46  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
>> 090216 13:51:46 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
>> Version: '5.0.45'  socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  Source
>> distribution
>>
>> Which says one problem seems to be sorted, at the expense of a huge
>> security hole in /tmp as anyone can do anything there now.
>>
>> Ok, so now try a login again:
>> [root@coyote /]# mysql -u root -p
>> Enter password:
>> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
>> password: YES) [root@coyote /]# mysql -u root -p
>> Enter password:
>> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
>> password: NO) [root@coyote /]#
>>
>> Seems like this is where I started, isn't it?
>>
>> Now that the tmp perms is sorted, I suppose I need to go back and do all
>> that other stuff again...
>>
>> Which I just did, and didn't change a thing.  WTF?
>> Thanks Craig
>
>----
>after initial installation but before you actually ever start mysqld
>service...
>
>mysqladmin - u root password 'new-password'
>
>*might* work after the mysqld service has already been started but if
>you look at the script involved in /etc/init.d/mysqld, much will happen
>the first time you start it.
>
>You can always stop mysqld service, empty contents of /var/lib/mysql and
>start the service if you don't care about any of the setup.

I didn't, but:

[root@coyote /]# service mysqld stop
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
090216 14:57:46  mysqld ended

Stopping MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
[1]+  Done                    mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --init-file=/tmp/mysql.user
[root@coyote /]# mysqladmin password 'xxxsanitized'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
[root@coyote /]# cd /var/lib
[root@coyote lib]# ls
alternatives  cs         dhclient  hal     kdm               multipath  pgsql        rkhunter  sepolgen        texmf
yum
awstats       dav        dhcpv6    hsqldb  logrotate.status  mysql      php          rpcbind   setroubleshoot  vdr
bittorrent    dbus       dirmngr   htdig   misc              nfs        PolicyKit    rpm       spamassassin    webalizer
bluetooth     denyhosts  games     iptraf  mlocate           ntp        random-seed  samba     stateless       xkb
[root@coyote lib]# rm -fR mysql
[root@coyote lib]# mysqladmin password 'sanitized'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
[root@coyote lib]# service mysqld start
Initializing MySQL database:  Installing MySQL system tables...
OK
Filling help tables...
OK

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h coyote.coyote.den password 'new-password'
================
Example:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h coyote.coyote.den password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password 'new-password'

Returns:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
================

See the manual for more instructions.
You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl
cd mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl
=====================
I also did this, after updatedb and locating the stuff
cd //usr/share/mysql-test
[root@coyote mysql-test]# perl mysql-test-run.pl
Logging: mysql-test-run.pl
MySQL Version 5.0.45
Skipping ndbcluster, mysqld not compiled with ndbcluster
Setting mysqld to support SSL connections
Using MTR_BUILD_THREAD      = 0
Using MASTER_MYPORT         = 9306
Using MASTER_MYPORT1        = 9307
Using SLAVE_MYPORT          = 9308
Using SLAVE_MYPORT1         = 9309
Using SLAVE_MYPORT2         = 9310
Using IM_PORT               = 9312
Using IM_MYSQLD1_PORT       = 9313
Using IM_MYSQLD2_PORT       = 9314
Killing Possible Leftover Processes
Removing Stale Files
Creating Directories
Installing Master Database
Installing Master Database
Installing Slave1 Database
mysql-test-run: WARNING: running this script as _root_ will cause some tests to be skipped
Starting Tests in the 'main' suite

TEST                           RESULT         TIME (ms)

mysql-test-run: WARNING: Process 21356 died
alias                          [ fail ]

ERROR: Failed to start master mysqld 0

Aborting: alias failed in default mode. To continue, re-run with '--force'.
Stopping All Servers
==========================
so, adding the --force I get about 2 megabytes of this before I ctl+C it.
ERROR: Failed to start master mysqld 0

Stopping All Servers
Restoring snapshot of databases
Resuming Tests

mysql-test-run: WARNING: Process 21713 died
drop                           [ fail ]

ERROR: Failed to start master mysqld 0

Stopping All Servers
Restoring snapshot of databases
Resuming Tests

mysql-test-run: WARNING: Process 21716 died
drop_temp_table                [ fail ]

ERROR: Failed to start master mysqld 0
===================
And back to the test.pl output below.

Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com
                                                           [  OK  ]
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
[root@coyote lib]#
>As for the documentation...it's not wrong but the documentation doesn't
>account for what the various distributions will do with their
>initialization scripts.
>
>If it's all too much for you, install webmin and use that to
>create/maintain user accounts in mysql.
>
>Craig
[root@coyote etc]# yum install webmin
Loaded plugins: upgrade-helper
fedora                                                                                                                           |
2.1 kB     00:00
rpmfusion-free-updates                                                                                                           |
2.7 kB     00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                                                                                        |
2.7 kB     00:00
rpmfusion-free                                                                                                                   |
951 B     00:00
updates-newkey                                                                                                                   |
2.3 kB     00:00
fedora-source                                                                                                                    |
2.1 kB     00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree                                                                                                                |
951 B     00:00
updates-newkey-source                                                                                                            |
2.1 kB     00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package webmin available.
Nothing to do
[root@coyote etc]#

Real co-operative, that.

Thanks Craig.  I wonder  if it would work on kubuntu-8.10?  Anybody know?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)