Re: myqsl dummy needs help

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 16 February 2009, Robert L Cochran wrote:
All the heavier-weight database engines have their own user accounts, so
they can grant or restrict permissions to various databases and tables
based on who the user is. MySQL does this. Even though mysql has a root
user that user is totally separate from the OS root account. You can
also have a mysql user account named mickey even though your host box
does not have such a user. So think only in terms of the defined MySQL
users.

You need to reset the MySQL root user password.

There may be no password to start with. I wonder what happens if you
just press enter when prompted for the password. If there is no
password, then you can set one using mysqladmin. When you first start
the mysqld server using 'service start mysqld' the syntax of the command
is explained to you right on the terminal window.

One more point. If you want to assign a password to a user on a specific
host machine, such as 'mickey'@'mickeymouse.m1.org' then I believe that
at the time someone attempts to log in with that username the actual
machine name must resolve correctly on dns to 'mickeymouse.m1.org' or
the user 'mickey' must have a password defined for the localhost machine
('mickey'@'localhost').

To do reset the root password correctly, you can find copious details on
the MySQL knowledgebase. Go to www.mysql.com and search off their
knowledgebase. There is a method described for changing the password for
the root user, but it is fairly complicated. I've used it successfully
once or twice before when I made a mess of my own mysql root password.

I have now done that procedure twice, setting a different passwd the last time in case mysql has a password length limit less that the size of my root pw.

It didn't help, I'm still getting exactly the same error. How can I nuke it all & start from a truly scratch install?

Hi Gene,

Before you do that I have an idea.

I don't install MySql very often but I seem to recall an alert given upon installation advising the use of mysqladmin to set the initial root password. On a clean install the password is the empty string (return).

"mysqladmin password 'secretcode'"

After that you use the GRANT command to control access to the rdb.

Hope I'm not all wet here.  Sometimes my CRS gets in the way ;)

Mike Wright