Re: myqsl dummy needs help

All the heavier-weight database engines have their own user accounts, so
they can grant or restrict permissions to various databases and tables
based on who the user is. MySQL does this. Even though mysql has a root
user that user is totally separate from the OS root account. You can
also have a mysql user account named mickey even though your host box
does not have such a user. So think only in terms of the defined MySQL
users.

You need to reset the MySQL root user password.

There may be no password to start with. I wonder what happens if you
just press enter when prompted for the password. If there is no
password, then you can set one using mysqladmin. When you first start
the mysqld server using 'service start mysqld' the syntax of the command
is explained to you right on the terminal window.

One more point. If you want to assign a password to a user on a specific
host machine, such as 'mickey'@'mickeymouse.m1.org' then I believe that
at the time someone attempts to log in with that username the actual
machine name must resolve correctly on dns to 'mickeymouse.m1.org' or
the user 'mickey' must have a password defined for the localhost machine
('mickey'@'localhost').

To do reset the root password correctly, you can find copious details on
the MySQL knowledgebase. Go to www.mysql.com and search off their
knowledgebase. There is a method described for changing the password for
the root user, but it is fairly complicated. I've used it successfully
once or twice before when I made a mess of my own mysql root password.

Another great resource is to read Paul DuBois book "MySQL". It is really
the bible of all things MySQL. If you intend to use MySQL seriously then
this book is mandatory purchasing and reading.

Bob Cochran