Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

On Sunday 15 February 2009 04:14:05 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 20:37 -0700, Jake Peavy wrote:
> > On 2/14/09, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >         Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> >         > most people with automatic updates might not have noticed,
> >
> >         but if
> >
> >         > you look closer, the recent bunch of updates, including KDE
> >
> >         4.2,
> >
> >         > installs the MySQL server on the machine (and some other
> >
> >         database
> >
> >         > related stuff which MySQL depends on).
> >
> >         Took a quick look at http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/ and on the
> >         surface
> >         seems like a reasonable direction/idea.  So, not quite sure as
> >         to why
> >         you may consider this to be a big issue.
> >

> > Linux bloat continues unabated.
>
> ----
> I think...
>
> - that you would have to have kde-pim package installed to bloat here
>
> - agreed on bloat but considering that my Acer Aspire One is 10 Gb
> Windows installation and 5 Gb Fedora 10 and I have a lot more 'stuff'
> installed in Fedora.

Agreed.  My other laptop has to dual-boot with XP.  However, I only require it
for one application.  I partitioned it with 8GB for XP system (no data) and to
my surprise the most basic install filled it to danger point.  I could
certainly run a modern linux distro, with more applications, in the same
space.

More importantly, in linux, if you think something does install too much, you
do have a choice.

Anne