Re: First thoughts on KDE4.2... lots of bugs...

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:42 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:19 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > I'm finding a lot of bugs in KDE4.2
> >
> > 1) KDE asks for root permission when I open a folder with Dolphin from a
> > folderview.
> >
> > 2) Kstart gets messed up when I go from classical mode to the kickoff
> > mode.  Half the kickoff menu extends below the bottom of my display.
> > The Kstart widget icon gets big when I am done.
> >
> > 3) I've crashed plasma twice and I get errors when I start it from time
> > to time.
> >
> > 4) I crashed one of my panels when I tried to rearrange the icons in it.
> > Now I can't add a Konsole icon to it.
> >
> > 5) I get funky flashing menus in applications from time to time.
> >
> > 6) My display goes funky during boot up.  It starts good but then
> > displays parts of old windows then goes black (or blue) for a long time.
> > After a while it goes normal, except that the desktop background doesn't
> > display on my second monitor.
> >
> > I'm not saying KDE4.2 is bad, just that its not entirely stable.
> > Hopefully there will be an update in the near future.  After all, it is
> > a .0 release.
>
> 7) The analog clock widget on my desktop disappears from time to time.
> The clock hands remain, but the rest goes invisible.  If I click around,
> it redraws.
----
I've had none of those problems but I don't use folder view or classic
menus nor do I add launcher buttons to panel. I do however use the
analog clock and no issues with that. I have a desktop (uses nv video)
and a laptop (uses intel video) and it sounds as if your problems might
be caused by some 3rd party video driver.

I too am not crazy about the new blue panel (apparently unchangeable)
and for some strange reason, the 'Application Launcher' widget in my
panel on my laptop since upgrade is now a blank document with a question
mark and removing the widget and re-adding doesn't fix that - it looks
tacky.

Craig