Re: Firefox Faster In Wine Than Native (was Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux)

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So apparently I wasn't just imagining that Firefox on Linux/Fedora is
>> stupidly slow. Firefox is actually faster in Wine that on Linux
>> instead.
>
> Which firefox builds are you using? Are you using the upstream Mozilla
> build under wine and the Fedora build under Fedora? Did you test the
> Mozilla linux build on Fedora?

I have been using the Fedora provided builds since F7.

> I take it you mean slow page rendering.  I just want to be clear,
> different people use "slow" to mean different things.

I'll try to paint a picture (at least until someone instructs me on
specific metrics to collect)

I do a lot of web development, on FC7, I basically had to stop using
my desktop for my most of my web work, and when I did use it it was
Konqueror as I only have Fedora on my desktop.

When I say slow, I don't mean boots slow, here's a incomplete of
things that are slow, and by slow I mean slower than my now dead 4
year old laptop with Windows XP on a Celeron:

* switching between tabs
* zooming (I mean _really_ slow)
* reloading often (again, I do web work)
* even basic loading of pages (is slower than other machines on the
same network)

In FC7 I could not use the guided Bugzilla mode with Firefox. The only
thing that has changed between FC7 and F9 for me is that I did a
serious hardware upgrade of my machine. And that was necessary because
scrolling a page in Firefox would starve PulseAudio of resources and
literally kill it. I always assumed this were just bugs that would be
worked out. But it's been going on for pretty long now. Now, I have
dual core test machine, and Firefox is unobtrusive on that machine, at
least it is fast enough that my model is the likely bottleneck.

If there are spefic tests that one would like me to do, I'll be happy
to do them. It just seems unhelpful for me to file a bugzilla issue
that "firefox is slow".

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )