Re: Broadcom-wl v. Kernel

Kevin Kofler wrote:
homburg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am not at all sure why it installed two kmod-wl. Both are
from rpmfusion-nonfree-updates???

One is the metapackage which always drags in the module for the latest
kernel, the other is the actual package for your current kernel.

Is the kernel dependency correct? Does this mean that - to
use wireless - I should boot from the non-PAE kernel?

You should install kmod-wl-PAE.

And are you sure you still need the proprietary driver? As far as I know,
the b43 driver is getting support for more and more devices.

I originally hoped that my 4310 would be supported, as promised by both netdev posts and the Broadcom site, but in truth it isn't. I bought a USB modem to use until the new driver was done, now I'm looking for a replacement internal modem so my cat can stop playing with the USB device.

So "more and more" doesn't include older popular choices of laptop makers. :-(

I hate to ask - I feel stupid - but what is the difference
between rpmfusion free and nonfree? Is this a licensing
issue?

Nonfree means it is not Free Software:

        Kevin Kofler

--