Re: LXDE as default in init 5

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM, solarflow99 <solarflow99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM, solarflow99 <solarflow99@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > I would like to set this as the default, but using runlevel 5 just
>> > brings up
>> > GDM by default and I have to select lxde every time.  Anyone happen to
>> > know
>> > where you can can set this?  it doesnt seem realted to prefdm, I tried
>> > that
>> > already.
>>
>> If you select LXDE from GDM then it should remember that setting. I
>> can't tell for sure if you've done that with the limited information
>> you've provided.
>>
>> I recently installed F10 on a low end laptop (P2 366MHz) w/ 128MB of
>> ram. I'm using LXDE in combination with Slim (login manager). I
>> probably should put put it in bugzilla but I created a lxde.switchdesk
>> file (modified from the fluxbox one) so you can use switchdesk to
>> change to LXDE. However, I found out the hard way that if you choose
>> your desktop in GDM, switchdesk will have no effect.
>
> all switchdesk does is create a file with a WM setting, so if you type
> startx to bring up X then it works.  I mentioned that I had to select LXDE
> every time from GDM so thats what I have been doing, in fact the whole
> purpose of the message was to ask how to be able to stop doing that.

That's got to be a configuration issue or a bug. Once you set it, it
should stay that way. The lack of response is either because no one
else is having the problem or the message subject doesn't catch
anyone's interest. Might try reposting it as "GDM does not remember
session selection" or something like that. You could try another
desktop and see if it's remembered on restart or not which might help
narrow down the scope of the problem.

I bet hardly anyone even used LXDE, its a real shame, lean software like this is what we need more.  Nothing remembers the session though..