Re: Problems with evolution when storing a folder on Fc10

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 18:13 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 18:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On 02/02/09 16:27, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > > Dear Members,ion
> > >
> > > I am having a problem with evolution on a FC10 x86_64 machine.  There
> > > are times when evolution stalls giving me the message "Storing folder"
> > > It usually finishes the process and returns to normal after the folder
> > > is stored and completed, but it might take as long as 30 minutes for
> > > this to finish.  I am not using this machine for anything else other
> > > than its use for e-mail.  I usually "ssh -Y" into it from a remote site,
> > > but these symptoms occur both during local use and remote use.
> > >
> > > This problem did not occur with FC7 that I used on this machine before
> > > the install of Fc10.
> > >
> > > I have used 'atop' to evaluate what is happening when this occurs and
> > > noticed that the DSK entry becomes very high
> > >
> > > I would sure appreciate anyone's help.
> >
> > I've seen this too. It might be better to take it to the Evo list, or
> > better still report it to Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Good Idea !!!!  Thanks
> Bug 570294
> Evolution stalls while trying to do a "Storing Folder" function
>
> Greg

The evo index workaround dance:

- Terminate evolution, forcefully if necessary (evolution
--force-shutdown, or killall evolution, or xkill, or ...)

- Start evolution offline: evolution --offline

- Exit evolution. It may take a while to store folders, depending on how
big the dirty (changed) ones are.

- Restart evolution. Exit it again. You can skip this step, sometimes.

- Restart evolution. When it's stopped doing the startup dance, put it
back online (icon in the lower-left, or File > Work Online).

Annoying, but it works -- even with the "Folder and summary mismatch,
even after a sync" error dialog.

-Chris