F10 post installation kernel issue?

First time F10 install went well.  One thing I did
differently in installing F10 was to:

1) Use the Volume based filesystems
2) Enabled disk encryption

I noticed that on every reboot, one must enter the password
long before seeing a grub display.  Hmm...  maybe for a server
this is not the way to go, but for a workstation, it's probably ok.

Anyway, the initial kernel I started with is:
(1) kernel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686

I proceeded to get the latest updates and this was approx. 1 week ago.

I later added programs I wanted installed, configured the services I wanted,
etc., etc., and everything went well.  I was able to reboot, no problems.

But then a few days later, more updates came through, but specifically
a new kernel was added:
(2) kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686

Rebooting, I got the messages:
======================
ata1: ACPI get timing mode failed (AE 0x300d)
[hang]

So, I never got to the point where I needed to enter
the encrypted disk password for continuance.

To be sure, I rebooted back to the original kernel (1),
and it booted just fine.  Leaving it there, I continued using
the system, but got yet another kernel update:
(3) kernel-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686

Same problem reported in (2) above.  So I am still
stuck at using my initial kernel at (1).

Is there anything I can do or to check to understand why
I am not able to use the latest kernels?

Thanks!
Dan