Re: [OT] linux viruses statics

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:45:02AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Linux users can still have problems with viruses or worms. Until SELinux
> gets a bit better, they can still be tricked into running programs similar to
> how Windows users are. There are some apps that run on linux that are
> designed to easily execute code disquised as data.

The big difference between Windows and Linux is permissions.  Yes, you
can get infested--but the vast majority of Linux/Unix users don't run
with root permissions. (Caveat: I don't know how many are careless and
actually login and work as root.  In the Old Days, I'm sure it was close
to nil; with the influx of non-Unix/Linux users, I wonder.)  The vast
majority of Windows users--especially workstation and home users--have
admin privs to their system.  Meaning that Trojans on Win boxen usually
get to modify the OS; on Linux systems, they usually only get to infest
the user's environment.

> And people are still trying to turn web browsers into an
> application environment instead of a simple document viewer.

Get used to that.  Unless and until the concept of cloud computing falls
into disfavor, the vendors are really, really pushing SAAS--it seems (to
them) to be a way to regain their shrinking market share on software and
OS sales.  Once I point out that loss of Internet connectivity means
shutdown of operations, and that their data is falling out of their
direct control, I've not had any enthusiasm for it from clients, but.

And there are cases where it'd be nice to have the browser carry the
load.  F'rinstance, not having to install and configure a heavy database
client on every workstation.  (Unfortunately--or fortunately, if you
object to browsers filling this role--there aren't any tools yet to
generate complex database FEs for browsers; it's got to be coded.)

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx