Re: PulseAudio doesn't start

Chris Bredesen wrote:

> Jan 28 21:42:18 interlagos pulseaudio[4080]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error
> opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

This means someone else opened the alsa device.
Try (as root)
  lsof -n | grep snd
  lsof -n | grep sound

Could be that some application not pulseaudio aware or, and that
happens to me a lot, pulseaudio running as another user.
If you su to another user in a terminal and run something which
tries to produce a sound, pulseaudio will try to autorun itself
as that user, leading an interesting fight between many pulseaudio
instances attempting to open the same alsa devices.

This is really annoying as you can not run different applications
as different users on the same desktop.

It is worse on F10.
On F9 the second user would try to contact the first pulseaudio
and get a permission denied, which could be simply solved with
  chmod 777 -R /tmp/pulse-*

I have no solution on F10.
Pulseaudio "cookies" may have to be involved in this scenario, but
the docs I found were not very assuring.

> Any clues?  The knock on effect of PA not starting is that Pidgin hangs
> hard when it tries to make noise.  Other colleagues of mine report this
> symptom as well...

Yes, it happens a lot with pidgin.
And a lot with mplayer too (audio stops randomly and is costantly out of sync).

This "one user at a time" mentality is really annoying.
Why isn't pulseaudio run as system level daemon and permission handled a simple
unix group? Who knows.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it