Re: AGP 4x Video Recommendation for FC10 w/ 1600x1080 LCDs

I've used Saphire branded ATi Radeon 9250's in several AthlonXP/P4 class
machines @ AGP 2x and 4x. I have run fine through the VGA output at
1920x1080 (HDTV) with them as well as dual monitor using 1680x1050 or
1440x900. These cards have two DACs so they can drive two analog outputs
or one analog and one digital (most sport a VGA + DVI-I connector).
Though output through a DVI-2-VGA converter with these cards can
sometimes lead to quality loss on cheap VGA only LCD's.

The 9250's are a little dated and I've since started using GeforceFX
5200's as replacements due to availability. I've found the 5200's to be
equal or better in quality, but have not installed as many. One pro for
LCD owners is that the 5200's can often be found in dual DVI-I
configurations. Neither card is performance oriented, so you can find
them in fanless configurations and they won't break the bank @ <  $50 each.

I think your problem with the Geforce4MX is that it is based on a very
old card design (Geforce2) where resolutions higher than 1280x1024 were
not commonly demanded from a budget card. I think that any DirectX 9 and
above card should be able to reliably run the requested resolution, even
if it is a budget model.

--Blake