Re: Fedora 10, KDE4 - dual monitors

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 08:29 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I've had several issues with my new laptop & Fedora 10 per the nvidia video
> card so I eventually ended up with a config where I've removed kmod-nvidia (I
> had tried the driver from the nvidia site as well) and I have an xorg.conf file
> that specifies a 'vesa' driver.
>
> This allows me to have true 1920x1200 resolution but I cannot get dual
> monitors to work - I cannot even plug in an external monitor and toggle
> to/from it as the only display via Fn-F8  (this has worked with past laptops
> running KDE 3.x)
>
> So, my question is, how do I go about setting up dual monitors ? Does this
> require that I go back to the kmod-nvidia driver or can I pull it off via the
> current 'vesa' driver?
>
> Note that if I dont have an xorg.conf file then I get a config where the system
> reports that it's running at 1920x1200 but in reality it's more like 1280x800.
> This was the main issue with the kmod-nvidia driver back in December before I
> removed it.
>
> an lspci shows this:
> lspci | grep -i nvidia
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 061e (rev a2)
>

> and my xorg.conf file looks like this:
> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "single head configuration"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option      "AIGLX" "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # generated from default
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # keyboard added by rhpxl
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1920x1200"
>         HorizSync    31.5 - 74.5
>         VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
> [...]
----
not sure exactly what the question is but here is what I am doing that
seems to work.

I don't have an xorg.conf file so you might try
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak
just to keep it around but not loaded

Then make sure that the monitor is attached when you restart so that it
fully senses it.

Log in as user

Run 'systemsettings' and choose 'Display'

You should be able to pick the resolution for the built-in laptop and
the monitor separately - click Apply

I **think** that the nv module might be better than vesa if you are
going to use an open source video driver.

Craig