From: NiftyFedora Mitch <niftyfedora@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: X11 sweep frequencies, how are they determined?
To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 1:58 AM

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM, David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leslie Satenstein wrote:
>>
>> My question is in the subject line.
>
> You might have to give a little more info on this query (I certainly
aren't
> sure what you are talking about) ?
>
> Where did you see it mentioned (internet, config file... ?)
>
> DaveT.

I suspect the subject line is making reference to the horizontal and
vertical refresh rates and other params like dot clock...

On older monitors these values were documented by the vendor.
X11 set up tables have collections of these matched to vendor part numbers.
The xorg.conf file will have them in the Monitor description section.

New monitors have data wires that permit the system driver to look up the
vendor data. Google/ search wikipedia for: "the Display Data Channel
(DDC) and the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID), which
allows computers to communicate with different monitor extensions."
and more.

Note that historically some hardware could be damaged by bad settings so
vendor data for both the card and display itself can be important.

--
NiftyFedora
T o m M i t c h e l l