Re: database mess up

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Craig White wrote:

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 19:49 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
http://www.rpm.org/wiki/Docs/RpmRecovery
OK, but /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_sta is not part of rpm for fedora !
Regards
----
indeed - they seem to have removed the db4 utilities from rpmdb

Rpm in F10 no longer uses an internal copy of db4 so this isn't
practical to do anymore.

even worse, I installed db4-utils package and ran...

# cd /var/lib/rpm
# db_dump Packages
db_dump: Program version 4.7 doesn't match environment version 4.5
db_dump: DB_ENV->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version
mismatch

which means that I can't use db4-utils to do anything with rpmdb on
Fedora 10

Use the db45_foo variants instead, eg db45_dump
----
good to know...do I gather that you have little faith for the...

db45_dump /var/lib/rpm/Packages.old \
| db45_load /var/lib/rpm/Packages

mechanics to suggest that he essentially download every package and
re-add them to --justdb which seems like a rather Herculean task?

I got the impression from Patrick's earlier messages that --rebuilddb ended up with a partial database. If that's the case ... well, db_dump & db_load cannot bring back data if it's not in the db anymore. Otherwise, attempting the dump+load doesn't hurt anything of course.

	- Panu -