Re: database mess up

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Patrick Dupre wrote:

Hello,

For a reason that I ignore my database is totallt mess up.
rpm --rebuilddb only rebuild iy partially.
The packages are installed, but rpm --rebuilddb does not see them.
How can I recover them without resintalling them manually ?

Find the latest intact /var/log/rpmpkgs* file (ie one that got generated before the db got corrupted, file size should be a good indicator) and copy it somewhere safe, say /root/rpmpkgs.backup. Now you should be able to make fairly good recovery with something like:

# mv /var/lib/rpm /var/lib/rpm.busted
# mkdir /var/tmp/download; cd /var/tmp/download
# yumdownloader `sed -e "s/.rpm$//g" /root/rpmpkgs.backup`
# rpm -Uvh --notriggers --noscripts --justdb *.rpm

The question of course is, what got the database corrupted to begin with.
Did anything out of the ordinary happen at that time, like /var getting full? Segfaults logged in /var/log/messages*? What filesystem is /var on?

	- Panu -