Re: Printers

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 12:43 +0000, Noel James Bridge wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 11:19 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend HP, because the CUPS drivers (HPLIP) are Free Software,
> > written by HP themselves and included in Fedora (so they work out of the
> > box).

> > One drawback though is that HP is not the cheapest option out there
> > (especially if you count the ink/toner prices - for example, HP inkjets
> > have the print heads on the cartridge, which means they're less susceptible
> > to defects, but which also means the cartridges are very expensive;
>
> I have a hp deskjet at home which gets light use, mostly. The integrated
> print head has a big advantage in this situation, one which is not
> immediately obvious. The main limitation on performance is simply that
> the jets very gradually dry out so that the quality becomes uneven. With
> a hp printer you replace the print head and it works as new. By contrast
> with an Epson printer I found that this was not possible. The result is
> that the hp printer has lasted far longer.
----
If you frequently print, the Epson is probably a superior mechanism but
yes, if you only print once in a while, the lines and jets can get dried
out and clog which necessitates cleaning and is at minimum a PITA and a
waste of ink. This is especially a problem where I live in the desert
southwest where it is usually very dry (indoor relative humidity always
under 20%).

I noticed though that some of the newer HP units have gone to a
multi-stage unit with separate print heads.

Myself, I'm still using an older (now) OfficeJet 6110 and the cartridges
are ridiculously expensive.

I think Kevin was using a point of view strictly from a driver
perspective.

Craig