Re: Printers

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 11:19 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> I'd recommend HP, because the CUPS drivers (HPLIP) are Free Software,
> written by HP themselves and included in Fedora (so they work out of the
> box).

> One drawback though is that HP is not the cheapest option out there
> (especially if you count the ink/toner prices - for example, HP inkjets
> have the print heads on the cartridge, which means they're less susceptible
> to defects, but which also means the cartridges are very expensive;

I have a hp deskjet at home which gets light use, mostly. The integrated
print head has a big advantage in this situation, one which is not
immediately obvious. The main limitation on performance is simply that
the jets very gradually dry out so that the quality becomes uneven. With
a hp printer you replace the print head and it works as new. By contrast
with an Epson printer I found that this was not possible. The result is
that the hp printer has lasted far longer.

James Bridge