Re: Samba and printer question.

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 14:11 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
You are better off using IPP to connect to CUPS with Vista.

I haven't tried printing from Vista to CUPS, yet, but with prior Windows
versions, using IPP (HTTP printing) on the Windows boxes worked fine.
It also takes one thing out of the middle.
Works without a problem. I mostly asked the question as there could be situation where IPP isn't an option and then would need to do it harder way for example customer insisting using only smb protocol. Anyway it seems that Vista has maybe problem with Samba and that's making it impossible to connect printer to install even drivers for it.
You'll probably need to pre-render, first, whichever approach.  i.e. On
the Windows box you use a local Windows printer driver for that model
printer, and send the printer's data over HTTP.

An alternative is using a PostScript driver on the Windows box.
For me postscript was the way to go as printer supports it natively in addition to PCL but in that sense you are right that you need to install driver for the printer in one way or another to print out from windows.

Veli-Pekka