Re: updateing ARGHH

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 15:31 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Subject: Re: updateing ARGHH.
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:55 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>  > > Ok so here's what 'yum' thinks...
>  > >  > > ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.52.20080908.fc10.i386 : Libraries for ffmpeg
>  > >  > > Repo        : installed
>  > >  > > Matched from:
>  > >  > > Other       : Provides-match: libavcodec.so.51
>  > >  >I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed I guess 'cuz I'm
> stumped....
>  > >
>  > > I've been ARGGHH'd too. Try a 'rpm --force install
> ffmpeglibs...rpm' etc.
>  > >
>  > > This is effectively a re-install of the rpm *and* updates the
> meta-data.
>  > > (And doesn't attempt, like 'yum remove', to remove every package which
>  > > depends upon the one being (re)installed,
> ----
>  > no wonder you like to run GUI as root...
>
> I don't run yumex. And yes, I run yum as root. Saves typing.
----
everyone runs yum as root - what wasn't what I said
----

>  >It may be common practice for you to use --force or --nodeps in your
>  >own package management but it's a whole 'nuther thing to recommend
> your >bad habits to others who might be less skilled or eager to try to
>  >repair a damaged set of packages.
>
> I think I have had actually had to use --force about twice in four
> years, in some circumstance where part of a package was messed up but
> the system didn't' know that.
----
I get that but I would never suggest that someone else do that - that's
sort of irresponsible.
----
>  >It was clear that the OP installed rpm's from Axel Thimm's repository
>  >but does not have it configured so it can't update. The choice is left
>  >to OP to either remove the packages he got from the other repository
>  >and replace them with the packages from rpm-fusion or add atrpms and
> disable rpm-fusion repos. Either way, he doesn't need to do something as
> drastic or potentially as damaging as '--force'
>
> Well, if it is so clear, when didn't you point out that he needed to
> enable rpmfusion and update ffmpeg. It was NOT entirely clear in this
> thread what was enabled and thus available to complete the update. (I'll
> admit it took me a minute to remember that ffmpeg is available at both
> atrpms and rpmfusion and not on fedora repos.) And, of course, if atrpms
> was enabled and rpmfusion not, using any switch with yum and a named
> package would produce only an error result, except in the disastrous
> case that the package exists on both sites. (But even then, the names do
> generally differ enough that you can differentiate them whether you are
> running as root or as user.)
----
because Michael Schwendt was helping him and I hate it when many people
give conflicting advice that just confuses the OP. I sat on the
sidelines until Michael didn't respond but you did respond with what I
believe to be a hazardous fix to someone else's system. --force is a
drastic step to take with rpm's
----
> Craig, if you took the time to rethink your desire to jump on comments
> like an attack dog and rephrased them to be personally neutral, you
> might not get called names in response. Your ad-hominem attacks on me
> don't make you look any better, nor any smarter. And to be blunt, I have
> been insulted by better people than you. You comments are petty and not
> even pedantic and not helpful. You do not explain why --force is *so*
> bad. You just want to trash me. That does not help the OP, which is the
> reason he posted in the first place.
----
I do think telling someone to use --force or --nodeps as a means to
solve their package problems when far less drastic measures are
available to solve their issues is irresponsible - I'm sorry if you find
that to be an attack on your person. I think I am generally quite
helpful and always considerate to leave a repairable, sane package
system when someone follows my advice which to date has not included
--force or --nodeps. I think that you will find that I have many years
on the fedora-list and the seawolf/etc. lists that preceded it.

Craig