Re: updateing ARGHH

Subject: Re: updateing ARGHH.

----
> no wonder you like to run GUI as root...

I don't run yumex. And yes, I run yum as root. Saves typing.

>It may be common practice for you to use --force or --nodeps in your >own package management but it's a whole 'nuther thing to recommend your >bad habits to others who might be less skilled or eager to try to >repair a damaged set of packages.

I think I have had actually had to use --force about twice in four years, in some circumstance where part of a package was messed up but the system didn't' know that.

>It was clear that the OP installed rpm's from Axel Thimm's repository
>but does not have it configured so it can't update. The choice is left
>to OP to either remove the packages he got from the other repository >and replace them with the packages from rpm-fusion or add atrpms and disable rpm-fusion repos. Either way, he doesn't need to do something as drastic or potentially as damaging as '--force'

Well, if it is so clear, when didn't you point out that he needed to enable rpmfusion and update ffmpeg. It was NOT entirely clear in this thread what was enabled and thus available to complete the update. (I'll admit it took me a minute to remember that ffmpeg is available at both atrpms and rpmfusion and not on fedora repos.) And, of course, if atrpms was enabled and rpmfusion not, using any switch with yum and a named package would produce only an error result, except in the disastrous case that the package exists on both sites. (But even then, the names do generally differ enough that you can differentiate them whether you are running as root or as user.)

And yes, running update with *anything* other than the fedora repo's enabled is extremely dangerous. And running yum with both atrpms and rpm-fusion enabled at the same time is playing russian roulette with 5 chambers filled.

Craig, if you took the time to rethink your desire to jump on comments like an attack dog and rephrased them to be personally neutral, you might not get called names in response. Your ad-hominem attacks on me don't make you look any better, nor any smarter. And to be blunt, I have been insulted by better people than you. You comments are petty and not even pedantic and not helpful. You do not explain why --force is *so* bad. You just want to trash me. That does not help the OP, which is the reason he posted in the first place.

Geoff
Who at least tries to help when he posts.