Re: F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sun, January 18, 2009 1:36 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Read the man page for mkinitrd - it tells you how to include
specific modules, as well as an option to overwrite the current
initrd.

just to be sure (sorry, it's almost 2 am here and I'm really tired), this
works even if the distro and kernel on the laptop where I'll run mkinitrd
are different from the target system?

But you have to know the module you need for the new controller.

you mean it's "only" a question of finding what that module is, right?
That board has a geforce 8300 controller, should I get the module from the
nVidia drivers?

Thanks again,
M.

Once you chroot you will be in the environment of the dead pc just running the kernel that the host pc booted, all commands, and data will be coming from the dead pc's chrooted environment.

This will typically only get you in trouble if the kernels are hugely different (one kernel is say 2.4 rather than 2.6, or if the host kernel is 32bit and the target machine was 64bit), other than that it should just work if you can find the correct module. I would suggest trying several of them at one time, sata_nv, and ahci are good choices, but throwing in more won't hurt.

I would suggest using mkinitrd with a "-v" to show what modules it is including so that you can see the new ones actually went into it.

You should not need to use cpio to undo/redo it, that does get alot more complicated that letting mkinitrd do its thing.