Re: F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 01:38 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, January 18, 2009 1:36 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>

> > Read the man page for mkinitrd - it tells you how to include
> > specific modules, as well as an option to overwrite the current
> > initrd.
>
> just to be sure (sorry, it's almost 2 am here and I'm really tired), this
> works even if the distro and kernel on the laptop where I'll run mkinitrd
> are different from the target system?
>
> > But you have to know the module you need for the new controller.
>
> you mean it's "only" a question of finding what that module is, right?
> That board has a geforce 8300 controller, should I get the module from the
> nVidia drivers?
----
It would seem that better info is going to come from Mikkel or Roger
than from me here but my guess is that you would probably want to use
something like cpio to figure out which modules were in your old initrd
files, do an lsmod on the laptop to see which SATA module was loaded in
order to access the SATA drive (which may not be possible because you
put it into an external case which might mask the SATA interface) and
then using that information, build a new initrd with those modules.

That would seem entirely possible to do on the laptop, just messy,
painful and a PITA to have to put the drive back into the other system
just to test it out.

Craig