Re: Scripting - SMS when there is a login

Leon Vergottini wrote:
My manager tasked me with writing a script that will SMS a notification when someone logs in to our Linux server. The requirements are
1.  Capture any login to the server
You have two ways of doing this with pam or with logfiles. You could use pam_preprofile module or write your own pam module if using pam. For log files look for some packages parsing logfiles or do your own script to do it.
2.  Create a csv file
3.  Copy the csv file to a Windows SMS server
I am really streched here because I have no knowlegde of scripting whatsoever. I have Googling the whole day without getting something definitefly.
Well, you need to do some scripting to get this done. Either start learning or get someone to do it for you. (Although that someone might want money for it) For scripting the things you need will probably be most easy with Perl or Python, but it's also possible to do it with shell script and using linux commadline utilities like sed and so on.

So if you are up to the task just find some books on the scripting languages and google for pam that pam module or howto write pam module.

Veli-Pekka