Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- On Thu, 1/15/09, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 1:48 PM
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:55:37PM -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Paul W. Frields
<stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does Windows include a tool that lets you shrink
the system partition
on an installed box?  I know you can't do it
while running off that
system, but what about something on their
installation disc?
Windows has no such tool. You can only delete, create
or format
partitions during
install. Then later when the OS is running you have to
delete partitions if you
want to change their size.
GParted live CD has worked well for me when resizing
NTFS filesystems.

Wow.  I'm scratching my head over that one.  So in any
case, it's nice
that the Fedora installer doesn't require you to use a
further live CD
to do this, but freedom's a good thing regardless.

--

It depends on the version of Windows. Windows Vista does have the ability to resize partitions on the fly. Still I see no one has mentioned/suggeste3d that the drive be defragmented so that it can be resized without problems.
Regards,

Antonio
On Apr 19, 2007, I bought a new HP dv9225. It had Vista Ultimate on a
160GB hard drive. I wanted to shrink the partition. I had not used
Vista before and while poking around I ran across Control Panel ->
System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.
I chose Storage, then Disk Management. It volunteered to reduce the
partition to 24GB. I accepted.

This took place while running Vista. No third party software required.
I then installed Fedora and have not had any problems.

Bob Barrett