Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:38:10PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 15 January 2009 18:08:55 Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:55:05AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
Netbook has arrived (yeah!)

If I boot F10 Live CD, does it have necessary parted/gparted to shrink
the NTFS partition to make room for F10 or do I have to use like a
gparted-live CD for that?
No need for a separate parted/gparted with Fedora.  The installer has
a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, built on the same
modern NTFS utilities, so you can just resize it down and continue
partitioning.  The resizing and partition writing gets done after
you've set things up the way you like.
I'm not saying anything against gparted or any other such tool, but my natural caution says use a windows tool to do the windows bit and a linux tool to do the linux stuff. That method has never let me down :-)

Does Windows include a tool that lets you shrink the system partition
on an installed box?  I know you can't do it while running off that
system, but what about something on their installation disc?

I certainly wouldn't want to see people think they needed to go buy a
$40 tool to do something that works perfectly fine with a free one.
I've tested Anaconda's method myself with plenty of systems I cared
about and suffered no ill effects, but obviously YMMV.

Paul
I was able to shrink the system NTFS partion using tools found in Vista and a third party tool which was either freeware or shareware. I also started with Vista Ultimate.

There is a problem with shrinking the Vista system partition that requires many iterations of shrinking. The disk manager applet in Vista (Ultimate) allows you to shrink a partition without losing the data on the disk, assuming you do not shrink the disk to a size smaller than the data on the partition. The problem that I hit was that I was only able to shrink the partition a few percent at a time because Vista places a non-movable file in the partition near the end. The trick was to shrink the partition, move that file, and repeat until you reach the desired size.

While Vista can shrink the system partition down to the size blocked by the non-movable system file, it took non-Microsoft defrag utility to relocate the "non-movable" file because Vista would not move it and give up its system partition size. It was over half a year ago when I did this and I do not remember what third party tool I used. It was either "Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0" or "Power Deframenter-2.0.125".

After repeated application of shrinking, defragging (which caused the non-movable file to be relocated), and rebooting cycle, I was able to reduce the Vista system partition from 250 GB down to 40 GB. I can dual boot between Fedora and Vista and only use Vista when I really need to.

--
 Steven F. LeBrun

Quote:  "Winter meant the coming of the lazy wind, which couldn't be bothered blowing around people and blew right through them instead."
   -- Terry Pratchett, from "Wyrd Sisters"