Re: No system-config-display, so what now?

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

Sorry, Rahul

but in the past, when a new hardware was installed, the xorg.conf was renamed,
and a new one was created automatically. Now, if you happen to have an xorg.conf,
and change the hardware, X simply does not start, because it tries to use
the wrong xorg.conf.

Xorg doesn't overwrite files by itself afaik and I don't know how that happened. Do you have a bug report filed?

In Fedora < F9, I think this was done by kudzu. Now there is no kudzu, but only hal.

But it the event of new graphics card, some process has to erase (rename) any previous xorg.conf
available.  This was the main problem I had when I installed F10. I removed an nvidia card
I used during the installation (to start using my onboard Intel graphics) , and then I had no X
at all, until I manually erased my xorg.conf and rebooted.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ