Re: mount question

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:31 -0500, Steve wrote:
> ---- Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 16:23 +0000, Steve wrote:
> > > If I let HAL & friends automagically mount my Windows partition mount reports this:
> > >
> > > # mount
> > > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
> > >
> > > The problem is that I want this partition mounted on /mnt/c_drive not
> > > /media/disk so I tried to add a line to /etc/fstab as follows:
> > >
> > > /dev/sdb1    /mnt/c_drive       fuse    rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > (I started with a type of fuseblk instead of fuse but that didn't work at all
> > > and note that fuse is not documented in the mount man page)
> > >
> > > but then as root
> > > # mount /dev/sdb1
> > > /bin/sh: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied
> > >
> > > # ls -l /dev/sdb1
> > > brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2009-01-12 13:24 /dev/sdb1
> > >
> > > It's not a selinux problem because I'm running in permissive mode:
> > > # sestatus
> > > SELinux status:                 enabled
> > > SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> > > Current mode:                   permissive
> > > Mode from config file:          permissive
> > > Policy version:                 23
> > > Policy from config file:        targeted
> > >
> > > This is on an F8 system and I'm trying to get my backup to work so I can upgrade
> > > to F9.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong here?
> > ----
> > perhaps you are just trying to use too much muscle
>
> Perhaps I am but personally I don't consider editing /etc/fstab to be heavy lifting.
>
> > why not just let it mount like it does and use a bind mount elsewhere...
> >
> > mount --bind /media/disk /mnt/c_drive
>
> I've no doubt that this will work but there HAS to be a simple way to mount a partition where I want directly. It juts seems so basic.
----
The problem you have is that you are starting with a swimming upstream
premise.

USB storage is considered 'removable storage' and thus is typically
handled by udev as user - which sort of makes sense if you stop to
consider it. The 'user' can mount/unmount removable storage devices at
any time.

/mnt was never intended to be for anything but permanently mounted
filesystems, i.e. not removable - no user action required or reasonably
permitted.

Now if this 'windows filesystem' (and you don't specify what kind it
is), is to be mounted by root at boot and remain mounted without any
user interaction at all, then by all means add it to /etc/fstab as vfat
(if it's vfat) or ntfs-3g (if it's ntfs and recognize that the ntfs-3g
automatically uses the fuse system for you).

man ntfs-3g

But really, it's much simpler to just bind mount...

Craig