Re: ipod's (or other mp3 players) and Fedora

Kevin Kempter wrote:
Hi All;

I have Fedora 10 x86_64 running as my main (only) OS on my laptop I travel with. I'd like to get an ipod or similar device.
I've heard a few things about ipod's - can anyone verify if this is true:
- that a new ipod has to be 'formatted' on a mac or windows box before use
- that the ipod database is somehow hashed so only itunes can write to it

Also I'm looking for any suggestions per mp3 players (or ipods) that play nice with linux (Fedora 10) and what tools you'all are using to move your music around.

Music is one of my passions. It 'helps' me stay focused and relatively sane. I don't go far without my music collection.

Since 2000, I have been testing and discarding mp3 players. There just aren't any that I, personally, like. Some have features, some have style, but none have both.

REQUIREMENTS:

1.   Expandable storage.
2.   Popular, common, and free formats supported.
3.   Unobtrusive to my habits.

SOLUTIONS:

1. RARE: There are a few very simple mp3 players built into card readers. There are also a vanishing few that have SD card expansions.

2. This one is easier, and many new players can do ogg and others. You can even hack an ipod to support open formats, but do you want to?

3. This is another very tough one. I had, for years, smart phones with good music players. Unfortunately, the iPhone is not a good one when it comes to a basic music player! NONE of the Apple products support bluetooth stereo headsets. Sure you can mangle something together with a dongle, but come on!

The new smartphones like the G1 and pre have potential, but the pre is not expandable (yet). Plus, the cost is high to swith to a new smartphone just to get music.

CURRENT RESEARCH:

A year ago, I got into MIDs and still use the Nokia N810. However, that device is also my primary book reader. I read 40-100 novels a year.

For my college aged daughter, I bought her a netbook with a large hard drive. She carries that around in her purse for her music player! Lots of opportunity there, and the bluetooth stereo drivers for Linux are getting there ...

For myself, I am currently experimenting with large flash drives. I keep a music archive up to date on a 64GB thumb drive via rsync from my main server, and carry the flash drive with me. As soon as I see a perfect netbook (the HP2134 is at the top of my current list) I will dump the MID category for:

Good netbook with large SSD: (so it can remain 'on' in a case/back pack)
Bluetooth stereo headset.  (some very good ones out now)
HSPA/CDMA/XOMM card with a carrier contract that will allow both voice and data.

At that point, I will be happy.

Good Luck!