ipod's (or other mp3 players) and Fedora

Hi All;

I have Fedora 10 x86_64 running as my main (only) OS on my laptop I travel
with. I'd like to get an ipod or similar device.

I've heard a few things about ipod's - can anyone verify if this is true:
- that a new ipod has to be 'formatted' on a mac or windows box before use
- that the ipod database is somehow hashed so only itunes can write to it

Also I'm looking for any suggestions per mp3 players (or ipods) that play nice
with linux (Fedora 10) and what tools you'all are using to move your music
around.

Thanks in advance