Re: rsync help

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> It may be to do with the CIFS mount options (and for extra fun, I guess
>> the USB drive's mount options). Can you provide a bit more information
>> about the USB mount, and exactly what sort of failure rsync produces?
>
> I am trying to sync file names with ' and ñ for example. It gives this error:
>
> rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "<full path to file>": Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character (84)
>
> Once I remove the apostrophe or the ñ it works fine!
>
> I can see the files correctly and use them, it's just rsync that has the
> issues. So the tests for creating files I assume aren't needed, correct?

Being able to see the files is not final proof, as it involves other
settings (your terminal and env variables).

You should run "mount" to understand what options are you using at the moment
and then try changing those.
This is a kind of problem quite hard to fix via mail.

Another approach you can try is this:
LC_ALL=C rsync ....

It could avoid errors, but it is not sure that the filenames you will end
with will be really correct.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it