Re: How does autofs/udev decide where to mount partitions?

McGuffey, David C. wrote, On 01/12/2009 12:25 PM:

I'm trying to figure out how my Windows partition gets automagically

mounted as /media/disk.

# mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk

(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I used to have a line in /etc/fstab that mounted it at /mnt/c_drive
but something overwrote fstab and removed the line

Now in /etc/init.d/fuse I see this line
   if ! mount -t fusectl fusectl $MOUNTPOINT >/dev/null 2>&1; then

which explains the first mount output line but I can't find ant
reference

to /media/disk for the second line. I would guess that is has
something to

do with udev. I see a file

/etc/udev/makedev.d/99-fuse.nodes that just says fuse

Can someone give me an overview on how this is supposed to work.

I just encountered that also.  I have built a dual-boot system which has
F10 on one side and WinXP on the other.  F10 is installed on hd0 and the
second partition of hd1, while XP has the first partition of hd0.

Under F7 (prior release I was using), I had an fstab entry that
automatically mounted the second partition (ext3) of hd1, but the ntfs
partition would never get mounted. I don't want that ntfs partition
mounted *AT ALL* under linux.

as Rahul Sundaram said some time back...
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02024.html
controlling how and when drives are mounted is obfuscated somewhere in the layers of
"Udev. HAL, DBus and gnome-volume-manager/KDE equivalent.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7745
"

also useful reading:
"Howto prevent F9 from mounting all mountable partitions"
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-September/msg00862.html
"How to hide a disk?"
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01207.html

And Uh No I don't have it figured out yet either.

--
Todd Denniston