Re: How does autofs/udev decide where to mount partitions?

> I'm trying to figure out how my Windows partition gets automagically

> mounted as /media/disk.

> # mount

> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk

> (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

> I used to have a line in /etc/fstab that mounted it at /mnt/c_drive but

> something overwrote fstab and removed the line

> Now in /etc/init.d/fuse I see this line

>    if ! mount -t fusectl fusectl $MOUNTPOINT >/dev/null 2>&1; then

> which explains the first mount output line but I can't find ant reference

> to /media/disk for the second line. I would guess that is has something to

> do with udev. I see a file

> /etc/udev/makedev.d/99-fuse.nodes that just says fuse

> Can someone give me an overview on how this is supposed to work.

I just encountered that also.  I have built a dual-boot system which has F10 on one side and WinXP on the other.  F10 is installed on hd0 and the second partition of hd1, while XP has the first partition of hd0.

Under F7 (prior release I was using), I had an fstab entry that automatically mounted the second partition (ext3) of hd1, but the ntfs partition would never get mounted. I don’t want that ntfs partition mounted *AT ALL* under linux.

I haven’t had the time to go find the reason and determine how to turn it off.  For right now, I’ve got an intermittent dns problem and Network Manager scribbling a bizarre netmask in my *SUPPOSEDLY* static addressing files for eth0.  I can only handle one bizarre problem at a time under my current work load.  I’ll be watching this thread to see if someone can post a rational for the change and how to turn it off.

Dave McGuffey

Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM

SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD