F10 Intel Graphics monitor powersave how?

I have a machine that has Intel i945 graphics
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)
The machine is a Dell 5150 with smolt profile
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_f0a3719e-b5d0-4662-897a-fbd0f5485b5d

I had a lot of problems installing F10 originally on this machine (like many
others with Intel graphics!) but eventually I would up with a system that
works for the most part using the vesa driver with a simple xorg.conf file
as:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard0"
        Driver "vesa"
EndSection

The one annoying thing left is that the monitor fails to go into powersave
despite setting the power management in gnome.

I also tried doing
xset dpms 10 11 12
and then
xset -q
shows that the settings appear to have been set correctly but the monitor
still does not powersave.

There are no lines with EE in /var/log/Xorg.0.log so there appears to be no
error on loading X....

I can find no way to get this machine to run with the intel driver, despite
the various suggested options in the xorg.conf file that have appeared in
various postings on the forums. The NoAccel option does not work in this
case for this specific graphics chipset.

I have another machine which has the 82845G chipset which I can get working
using the intel driver but the 82945 chipset is clearly different.

Does anyone know of a workaround to get monitor powersave going?  (By the
way I also tried adding options in xorg.conf to set the standby, sleep etc
timeouts but as soon as I did that the machine would not load X any more -
and the only way I can get a graphical desktop at all is with the simple
xorg.conf I quote above - or adding xdriver=vesa to the kernel boot line
works also).

Thanks