Re: Access to sub network unreachable.

Simon Slater wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 19:20 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> If I understand what is going on, your default route is probably set
>> to 192.168.0.1 (Your old router?) so the system is trying to access
>> 192.168.1.1 through a gateway that is no longer there. You can add a
>> temporary route so you can talk to it.  Something like:
>>
>> route add -host 192.168.1.1 eth0
>>
>> or
>>
>> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>>
> I tried both of these separately, could see the rule in the routing
> table, but still could not ping the router.

That is strange, unless the interface connecting to the router is
something other then eth0.

> As I am close to installing F10 on that box (straight after lunch), I'll
> try again when settled into Cambridge life.
>
> This leads to another question though: for years another box was
> internet gateway and firewall by dialup connection, but now the new DSL
> connection is through this new server.  The DSL router is a Linksys unit
> that can act as gateway, firewall, nat, make coffeee ...  What functions
> should be given to the Linksys unit and what should be done on the
> server?  Can doubling up functions on both cause trouble?

I would let the router act as the gateway, NAT, and firewall. You do
not want to double up the gateway, NAT, or DHCP server. You may want
to have a firewall running on all your machines. It adds another
layer of security.

If you are using all static IPs, then it does not matter if you run
a DHCP server at all. On the other hand, you may want to consider
running the DHCP server on the Linksys, or a machine that is up
24/7, and set up fixed IP assignments based on the MAC address of
the machine requesting the lease.

One other thing to keep in mind - you are probably going to want to
change the name server IP address - ether to the Linksys router, or
to a machine on the local network running a caching name server. (I
like the second method, because you can have hosts on the local
network resolve.)

Mikkel