Re: Access to sub network unreachable.

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 19:20 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> If I understand what is going on, your default route is probably set
> to 192.168.0.1 (Your old router?) so the system is trying to access
> 192.168.1.1 through a gateway that is no longer there. You can add a
> temporary route so you can talk to it.  Something like:
>
> route add -host 192.168.1.1 eth0
>
> or
>
> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

I tried both of these separately, could see the rule in the routing
table, but still could not ping the router.

As I am close to installing F10 on that box (straight after lunch), I'll
try again when settled into Cambridge life.

This leads to another question though: for years another box was
internet gateway and firewall by dialup connection, but now the new DSL
connection is through this new server.  The DSL router is a Linksys unit
that can act as gateway, firewall, nat, make coffeee ...  What functions
should be given to the Linksys unit and what should be done on the
server?  Can doubling up functions on both cause trouble?

--
Hooroo,
Simon