Re: MP3 playback in XMMS

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 21:11 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 January 2009, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 19:07 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > What RPM do I need to install to get MP3 playback in XMMS? I forgot
> > > that RedHat in their <sarcasm>infinite wisdom</sarcasm> removed MP3
> > > capability from XMMS when they packaged it.
> >
> > ----
> > you should probably learn to leave your sarcasm behind because it merely
> > demonstrates your lack of understanding of the issues involved.
> >
> > Fedora, like any other American distribution doesn't include the codecs
> > for decoding mp3 format files because of patent/licensing restrictions.
> >
> > If you have the rpmfusion repo stuff installed...
> >
> > yum install xmms-mp3
> >
> Thanks... I apologize, but it annoyed me. I looked on RPMFusion's website
> and they didn't list xmms-mp3, so I assumed there was a hidden repo
> somewhere. Thanks for clearing that up.
----
fedora is obviously not the distribution for you...perhaps you should be
using Ubuntu where they simply don't care about patent rights or
licensing and have strategically located servers to completely get
around that.

Fedora is committed to open and GPL license compatible software which is
why they don't package or distribute things like flash, acrobat reader,
mp3 and all the various media playing codecs, dvd-css, proprietary
binary video drivers, etc.

Craig