Re: Anybody virtualizing topo maps??

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am I reading this right?? They seem to be saying that IBM
> now has something called VERDE, true free software, that does
> VMware's job better than VMware.

No, you're reading it wrong. First of all, VERDE isn't an IBM product;
it comes from someone called Virtual Bridges. Second, it's not really
clear from the Virtual Bridges website what their product actually is,
but it seems to be specifically for virtualizing Linux desktops, which
leads one to think it's not a general-purpose virtual machine like
VMware or VirtualBox (or KVM or QEMU ...).

What IBM is offering is a packaged Ubuntu desktop running in one of
these beasties and supporting Domino (which it already supports on
Linux anyway). It's no use to you if you want to run Windows on Linux
for example.

I see no prima facie reason it couldn't be made to work with Fedora.

poc

PS Note that VirtualBox does compete directly with VMware, and is true
free software in one of its versions. I've been using it in place of
VMware for several months and find it a lot less hassle to get working
and rather lighter in resource demands. However the USB emulation
still needs some work for certain devices such as ipods.