Re: Network interfaces refusing to start on boot: F10

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 14:05 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> Because virtually everything in the vicinity of NetworkManager
>>> is broken and needs another year or so of development to
>>> work right? :-).
>>>
>> Good Lord, if it's taken this long to make it even semi-functional, why
>> bother?  I mean as far as I'm concerned NM is a joke.
> ----
> One of NetworkManager's missions is to utterly frustrate and harass
> those that make no effort whatsoever to understand it's purpose and just
> want to muscle everything as root like they've always done.

Muscle everything as root?  I think not.  The point of any piece of
software is to be easy to use (relatively speaking), but also USABLE.  I
believe my experience with linux over the last decade makes me something
more than a n00b and I do not use any software for very long that simply
does not work.  Or work correctly all the time.  Or, you name it.  I'm
all for change, but when something like NM has been out for as long as
it has and it's still this 'buggy', then maybe it wasn't designed right
to begin with.

> I agree that it's much easier to just disable it and then dismiss it as
> broken than it is to actually figure out what it's good for and how to
> live with it.

Here's my problem with this statement.  I've tried using it.  And
personally it's not good for anything that I normally do on my systems.
 Therefore, I REFUSE to live with it.  It doesn't do me any good broken
or functional.

Not to mention the fact that if it's still THIS broken, making it the
default network management app is just a horribly poor decision on the
Fedora Project's part.

> I would bet dollars to doughnuts that everyone who dismisses
> NetworkManager out of hand also disables SELinux too.

I don't dismiss it.  Dismissing it means I haven't tried to use it.  I
have. I have found no use for it _in my world_.  So, comparing these two
items is just silly.

> Craig

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support