Re: HiJacking Threads Was: hostapd for Fedora 10

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Linking the reply to the original message is all that's required,
>>> given that every message *must* include a standard Message-ID header.
>>>

>> Which isn't, IMHO, threading.  It is, as you say, simple linking.

Then I'm somewhat at a loss to understand what you mean by threading.
The linking of replies to the messages being replied to joins the
entire set together into a thread. The presentation of the thread as a
visual hierarchy or whatever is a matter for the MUA.

> FWIW, I've found that RFC 2822 has a better discussion of the use of
> "in-reply-to" and "references" headers and their intended usage.

I quoted RFC822 because you said you weren't aware of RFCs which
specify threading, and 822 is the original standard reference for
email (at least in the form that's still in use).

2822 is certainly more extensive, but I don't think it adds anything
to the present discussion. For example, I'm not aware of any mail
clients that use the References header, or that allow a message to be
course exist, in which case it would be interesting to know about
them). RFCs often specify stuff that most clients don't implement,
e.g. not many people know that you can have a mail message with
multiple From: headers (the canonical example is a message sent by a
committee, each member of which appears in the From: line with their
own address). I've never seen such a message and I doubt I could
construct one with any of the clients I use, but the RFCs allow it.

poc