Re: Help... Can't boot!

Quoting Stuart <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
At which point does it say that?
Do you get as far as the grub menu?

Yes. It gets that far, and when I select that, it gives me the error. Even if I go as far as editing it to try and get into single mode.

Partition type 0x5 is an 'Extended' partition. (/dev/sda4 or
equivalent, usually) - this suggests to me that your grub.conf is
incorrect, probably containing a line similar to
root (hd0,3)

Ahh... that would explain it.

But you can see this (I hope) by hitting 'e' at boot time, assuming you
get as far as the grub countdown/menu.

How many disks do you have in the box and what's your partitioning scheme?

Err... Three drives, one of which is on a Promise PATA controller (my motherboard only had one PATA controller.)

/dev/sdb1 is /boot
/dev/sdb2 is /
/dev/sdb5 is /usr/local
/dev/sda6 is /home
/dev/sdc5 is an old /home (I think...not sure if that's my /home from FC6 or if sda6 is, so I'm not going to format it.)

I am not formatting /dev/sda6 or /dev/sdc5. I am formatting everything else.

I'm in the middle of reinstalling for the third or fourth time. Once it barfs again, I'll let you know exactly what the grub line says.