Re: Help... Can't boot!

On 03/01/09 11:10, John Aldrich wrote:
I was using Fedora Core 6, just fine, but decided since it was so out of
date, that I'd upgrade to Fedora 10. Now, for some reason, it won't
boot. It keeps saying "Unknown Partition Type 0x5".

At which point does it say that?
Do you get as far as the grub menu?

Partition type 0x5 is an 'Extended' partition. (/dev/sda4 or equivalent, usually) - this suggests to me that your grub.conf is incorrect, probably containing a line similar to
root (hd0,3)

But you can see this (I hope) by hitting 'e' at boot time, assuming you get as far as the grub countdown/menu.

How many disks do you have in the box and what's your partitioning scheme?

This is the same *exact* system that was working with Core 6, all I did
was install over the old version (except for "/home" and a storage
partition.)

I'm using X86_64 where before I was using i386, but that shouldn't
matter, should it?

nope

All data drives are IDE/PATA, but I'm installing off a SATA DVD ROM.

okay, how many are there? And which one do you want to boot from?

HELP!!! I need to get this up and running as it's my primary desktop
machine. I am stuck using my wife's XP box until I can get it back up
and running! :-(

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.