Re: The volume of audio is too low

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 02:13:48PM -0500, David wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 December 2008 17:33, Paul Smith wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> After some updates, the volume of audio became too low. Any ideas? I
> >> am using F10.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> > Hi Paul.
> >
> > As usual I suspect Pulseaudio as the culprit, as it can be responsible for low
> > volume levels.
> >
> > First though, open alsamixer as user in a terminal, as below.
> >
> > alsamixer -D hw:0
> >
> > Assuming that your card is card0, this should show all sliders for your
> > soundcard. Check for ones like, Master, PCM, Front, CD, which should be up.
> >
> > If all's ok in alsamixer, try disabling Pulseaudio (unless you particularly
> > want it), by removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, then reboot, and
> > see if the sound levels are any better.
> >
> > All the best.
>

> To the developers and those in charge of producing Fedora. *Please* when
> you release Fedora 11 set all of the volume levels to maximum and play
> really *loud* sounds that are recorded at really *loud* levels so that
> the Fedora users can stop beating up on Pulseaudio that is default set
> to not blast the cones off of their computer speakers.  ;-)
>
> Then we call all read about the sounds being too load. <even bigger> ;-)
> - --

Well I've found at least THREE different volume controls on my F10
installation, ALL of which need to be cranked up to get a decent volume.

First of all, there's the one on the top panel. Then there's the
Pulse audio mixer. Then there's another one buried in some other menu
(don't remember which one--the f10 machine isn't up at the moment. I
always have to dig around for it, then crank it all the way up so I can
even hear the test sounds (or any other sounds).

There may be others I haven't found. :)

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ