Re: fedora 10: best video card

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:46:41PM +0000, Don Raikes wrote:

> The video card on my gateway desktop has failed, so as I shop for a new one, I am wondering what cards are best with fedora 10.
>
> I work mostly at run leve l 3 (console), with occassions when I go into the gnome desktop.
>
> I ddo not play any games, and as yet have not had a reason to watch any movies on my fedora system, but that may change.

Since you do not do any heavy graphics and only use Gnome on occasion
any card will do.    In your case it is hard to ignore any card.
The cards with closed source acceleration like nVidea will run X
fine without the acceleration provided by closed source (i.e. vesa mode).

I always look for digital output as my display has that option
and I can see the difference (with my glasses on).   Look for
last years card on sale.  Select one that does not have an onboard fan (lower power).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?