Re: Catch-22 : curiouser and curiouser -- but better

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:25:26 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> One answer, the PAE kernel is used for 32 bit operation with 4GB or more
> of ram. Lets you see the whole memory.

	Well, I looked at both the system-monitor and lshw-gui -- and got
very different answers. One tells me I have 2.8 GB of (unspecified)
"memory," while the other tells me 4 GB of "system memory," with two
entries for RAM, neither of which says (in a form I can read, at least)
how much. One just says 32; the other gives "widths" of 64 for the cpu,
and 32 for each of its RAMs.

	My guess is that I might as well remove the PAE -- if I could,
without initiating yet another catastrophe; I did big damage a few years
by removing kernels wrong somehow. Probably better to let well enough
alone -- especially if never using either eventually gets them
expired ....

>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

	If only more people would realize that!

	(I also like the version that says something like "Never
attribute to malevolence what can be explained by mere stupidity" -- and
Schiller's "Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens." (In
Asimov's translation, "Against stupidity the Gods themselves contend in
vain."))

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3