Re: Catch-22 : NO JOY

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:34:30 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> --- On Sun, 12/28/08, Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
	[....]
>> 	Seems to me I better try "upgrading" F10 to
>> itself; and if that
>> doesn't do it, maybe yum will work in rescue ...
> You skipped courses, I can say that I skipped homework(s), and
> thankfully I made it through only having to repeat about 3 courses in
> Mathematics.  I am now a teacher and I guess not liking homework myself
> I don't assign homework to my students.  I tell them that if they did
> not finish in classtime, then it is their fault and that it becomes
> "homefun", but not homework.
	[...]
> What Marc recommended is that you download the iso
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php
>
> and burn it to a disk.  Boot your computer with it and it will let you
> boot your partitions that you have.  It works most if not all of the
> time, when you see GRUB__  it has happened to me and I have used it
> and/or the RipLinux another liveCD with that ability.  After I checked
> that everything was well(I could boot to my linux partition), then I
> booted with Fedora DVD and used rescue mode and used # chroot
> /mnt/sysimage
> # grub-install /dev/sda
> and it fixed things for me.

> If you are afraid to do this, then use the
> trick/hack to let it upgrade itself and it should fix the booting issue
> by reinstalling grub.  I know that it is a pain, but as long as you get
> back your linux partition back and it works, then go right ahead and do
> it.

	I did the latter (two or three times), on the principle of trying
the easiest or most familiar thing first. Updating the boot settings did
no good, but when I told it (tremulously emulating the amorous
porcupines!), it did acknowledge the existence of another OS (for the
first time since the troubles began), and let me rename it.

	I just edited /boot/grub/grub.conf, correcting the entry for XP
to what it used to be, having carefully saved that *elsewhere* before all
this.

	I also commented out "hiddenmenu" and raised the timeout from 5
to 15 seconds; I'll try booting to XP shortly.

	Then I noticed something *very* odd: all the kernel names include
"fc9"! And sure enough, so does uname -a. All this despite the fact it
was my F*10* DVD, which has succeeded on at least five other machines!

	Stay tuned ....