Re: Catch-22 : NO JOY after all

On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 14:53 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> You can see that I'm looking for some way to fight shy of
> tackling grub itself; every time I touch it, even just so much as to
> edit grub.conf, I go cross-eyed for a week.

The grub.conf file only tells it what to do once it's loaded.  But it
doesn't sound like it got that far, if you're just seeing the grub
prompt.  Yum re-installing it's quite likely to repeat whatever the
problem is, though it might change things if the drives have changed
order since the initial installation (e.g. the installer acted
differently than the system when it booted normally).

If the GRUB files are all in the proper place in /boot/grub/, and
grub.conf is properly configured (it probably is), then setting up GRUB
properly on the drive bootblocks is probably what's required.  That
needs just a few things:  The grub commands, knowing which
drive/partition the BIOS looks at to boot from, and the location
of /boot.

As the root user, issue the grub command.  Then the root command with
the location for the /boot partition.  Then you *can* *optionally* use
the find command to test whether it can find the grub stage1 file
that'll be used while booting, if you want to (this should prove whether
you've actually picked the right partition as being /boot, and whether
it's set up correctly).  Then the setup with the location for the where
BIOS tries to boot from a hard drive.  Then the quit command, to commit
the changes to disc and exit from the GRUB shell.

e.g. su -
     grub
     root (hd0,1)
     find /grub/stage1
     setup (hd0)
     quit

If you screw things up, you can always boot from another disc, and go
through the sequence again, this time with the right parameters after
the commands.

Remember the first drive is *zero* (hd0), and the first partition
partition is also zero (hd0,0).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686