Re: Catch-22 : NO JOY after all

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:57:46 -0600, Seann Clark wrote:

> [...]

greeted with a GRUB__ prompt only that does nothing :(

rescue mode and reinstall grub.  That way you get rid of your GRUB_
problem. This GRUB_ problem has bitten many of us that it is not funny
anymore.

is exempt), the good thing is that there's a workaround.  Try that and
report back.

>>> 	Hmmm ... What means "reinstall" here? How do you do it??
	[....]

>>> 	Is there such a command as "reinstall grub," or do you do it by
>>> commanding "grub" from root and doing God knows what from there, or
>>> ...?

>> It should be something like # grub-install /dev/sdX where X is a, b,
c, ...? else try with grub? and press TAB to see options.

> Ok, Grub can be awesome, and it can be the suck. The best way, that
> doesn't take a giant amount of effort, is to read the site first,
> download and burn the iso, and run as you read it.
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php
>

> This has helped me with a lot of Grub related issues, including ones
> that the  IRC room didn't seem to have a handle on (Where the F7 Rescue
> ISO didn't see the LVM and grub set up, F8 saw it, but would toast the
> F7 system) and using that I fixed the Grub issues I got (It wasn't as
> pretty as Grub_ it was no o/s found at all issues, but same ballpark,
> with stage 1 grub loading from what I have read on this).

	Night thought : if yum works in rescue mode (where I always tell
anaconda yes to firing up eth0 and connecting) could I just do "yum
remove grub" followed by "yum install grub"? Or better, some cross-
combination of the latter with Antonio's "something like # grub-install /
dev/sdX"??

	Or is all that kind of thing (ringing in yum at all, maybe) for
some arcane reason?

	Or could I tell anaconda to "upgrade" the F10 drive to itself?
That has often worked for me on single-drive machines.

	You can see that I'm looking for some way to fight shy of
tackling grub itself; every time I touch it, even just so much as to edit
grub.conf, I go cross-eyed for a week.

	Also, I'm thinking it's time I found some way to back up all of
XP to some DVD, or double-DVD, or an external hard drive. (I have one;
and yes, I should've done it in the first place ...) If there's a way to
get F10 to do it, instead of XP itself, I'd be glad of that ...