Re: Ok. I need a better education about kde functionality.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking at keyboard shortcuts and I have no idea what some of the
> functions are. I don't see any documentation on it at all, so I suppose this
> is the right place to ask.
>
> * There's a function called "Switch to Screen $ii" for ii in 0 to 7.
> What pray tell is a "screen". I know it's not a Desktop.

Try it out, I suspect you're referring to switching between virtual desktops.

> * I have a few effects turned on. What is Toggle Expose Effect and Toggle
> Sharpen Effect? They don't seem to do anything obvious.

Example of a random Expose effect:

Didn't find an example of sharpen, but this page mentions it:
http://rivolaks.blogspot.com/2007/09/kwin-improvements.html

> * I found some arrows that seem to be drawn with Meta+Shift+Ctrl. What is
> that?

Not a clue

> * And my last question (for tonight) is: What is an activity?

I haven't seen that term used outside the Sugar desktop myself

> I do
> understand that kde4 is a work in progress and I am honored to be a
> guinea pig, but when it's done, what will I be thrilled to be doing with it?

I am not sure anyone can tell you that. I personally use it to get
work done better.

> It seems like I can have a desktop with multiple widget configurations,
> but is that a good thing?

Well it's not necessarily a bad thing. KDE, Google, Gnome, MacOS and
Windows Vista all seem to have this feature now, so I guess someone
uses it. At the very least, you may find the folder widget useful.

Also, just so you know:
use to you if the noise level on this list is too high.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )